Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thoughts for Thursday

Thursday is sermon day for me. One of the most challenging things about being a part-time pastor is having two work days to get a sermon done. Like most creative endeavors, sermons need time to percolate. I'd really love to plan months ahead for sermons, but as a relatively new pastor and a mom of two young kids, I find that difficult (although it remains my goal and I am determined to improve my track record!). Some weeks I don't even get to read the passage until Wednesday morning when I finally get into the office, shut the door, and sit down with my Bible or web browser (I'm a big fan of Oremus Bible Browser; you can find it in the "links of interest" section on the right hand side bar). That means that the percolation has to happen fast since I like to have a draft of the sermon by the end of my work day on Thursday. This week I am taking heart from the lectionary gospel passage (John 15:26-27, 16:4b-15), in which Jesus tells his disciples about the coming gift of the Holy Spirit. Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit using the Greek word "paraclete" which has been translated many different ways (comforter, advocate, helper, counselor), but which literally means "to call beside." In other words, the Spirit has been summoned by God to come alongside those of us who are following Jesus, to give us the help and support we need to live in a way that is faithful to the gospel: sharing God's love with everyone we meet, working for justice for all, trying to follow the commandment to love God and neighbor, and accepting God's forgiveness when we fail. So as I try to write a sermon today and you try to do whatever it is you have to do today, may we all experience the presence and aid of the Holy Spirit, who comes alongside us to offer support, counsel, and that elusive peace for which we all long.

No comments:

Post a Comment